Darren Lai (Partner)
Darren read law at the University of Tasmania and graduated in the year 2005. He then obtained his Certificate in Legal Practice in 2008 and was admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2009.
Darren’s experience is primarily in company law, where he advised and acted for clients relating to a vast range of company matters, including shareholder rights, director’s duties and responsibilities as well as to a company’s regulatory responsibilities. He has also dealt with matters involving company liquidation. Darren has also advised clients in matters relating to tenancy, from advisory and reviews to drafting and dispute resolution. During the course of his practice, Darren has had numerous experiences appearing in the Appellate Court and High Court of Malaya.
Separately, Darren was also interviewed by Personal Money, a sub-editorial of The Edge pertaining to the laws of bankruptcy in 2013.
Darren had always kept dear in his heart his interest in the field of environmental law, having pursued international environmental law as a subject in university. He had an opportunity to defend a client from open burning charges initiated by the Department of Environment. Darren aspires to one day be a reputable advocate in the field of environmental law.
Much of Darren’s time outside legal practice is spent with his loving family. He is also an avid supporter of the English Premier League’s Manchester United Football Club.
- Sinarlim Sdn Bhd v Medallion Builders Sdn Bhd (previously known as RC-Soils (M) Sdn Bhd and other suits  4 MLJcon 247
- Chin Foh Berhad & Anor v Kwan Yun Hong @ Kuan Onn Hing & Ors  9 MLJ 854
- Concrete Parade Sdn Bhd v Apex Equity Holdings Berhad & Ors  11 MLJ 120
- Mercury Securities Sdn Bhd & Anor v Concrete Parade Sdn Bhd & Anor  11 MLJ 388
- Wong Kee Chong v Folin & Brothers Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1198
- Folin & Brothers Sdn Bhd (In Liquidation) & Ors v Folin Food Processing Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 543
- Folin & Brothers Sdn Bhd (In Liquidation) & Ors v Folin Food  6 MLJ 585
- Lim Choong Yik v Jack-In Pile (M) Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1208
- Conducted appeals at the Court of Appeal and High Court.
- Conducted full trials at the High Court, Sessions Court, and Magistrates Court.
- Applied for and resisting Winding Up petitions at the High Court.
- Claimed for non-payment of rental and subsequent execution proceedings at the Sessions Court.
- Represented clients in CIPAA proceedings.
- Conducted proceedings related to CIPAA at the High Court.
- Drafted a joint venture cum shareholders’ agreement representing a notable packaging company in Malaysia pertaining to a joint venture deal in Myanmar.
- Represented a Korean company to review a joint venture agreement pertaining to the development of solar panel plants in Malaysia.
- Drafted and reviewed tenancy agreements for a notable automotive battery distribution company in Malaysia.
- Drafted and reviewed tenancy agreements for a notable medical equipment distribution company in Malaysia.
Review of a business sale agreement for a recycling company in Malaysia.
- Drafted and prepared a business sale agreement for a food and beverages company.
- Review of joint venture and commercial agreements for an established glove manufacturing company in Malaysia.
- Reviewed, and translated into Bahasa Malaysia, a privacy notice for the launching of a fitness app for a company based in Singapore.
- Drafted and advised clients on the preparation of wills.
- Represented clients in obtaining grants of probate and letters of administration at the High Court.