Kimberly Chan (Associate)
Kimberly graduated with a Bachelor of Law (Hons) from the University of West of England, Bristol in 2017 and completed her Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) in 2019.
Having a wide range of work experience in the esports industry since as early as 2014, Kimberly joined the Events, Marketing and PR team, which she was later on promoted to lead, at Gen Arena Sdn Bhd, better known as Battle Arena Malaysia, an esports start-up company with multiple arms including a venue, professional esports team, production team, and solutions agency.
She then commenced her pupillage under the guidance of Richard Wee in 2021 and was subsequently admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in September 2022.
Kimberly has experience in the following areas of law including general litigation and dispute resolution, corporate drafting and advisory, company law, contract law, employment law, fintech law, sports law and esports law.
In her free time, Kimberly enjoys all things related to gaming and esports. She also enjoys playing the piano outside of work.
- Applying to Court for an interlocutory injunction, Sessions Court
- Drafting of esports Player Contracts
- Drafting of Memorandum of Understanding between international esports federations
- Assisted in the drafting of Master Licensing Agreements, Sale and Purchase of Business Agreements
- Reviewed Share Subscription Agreements, Shareholders Agreements, Term Sheets, Collaboration Agreements, Joint Venture Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Employment Contracts, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Memorandums of Understanding
- Renewal of business license with the Municipal Council
- Unclaimed monies applications with the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia
- Advising on employment and contractual matters pertaining to employee rights
- Advising esports and sports organization on matters pertaining to their constitution
- Advising companies on matters pertaining to their constitutions, shareholder resolutions, and removal and resignation of directors
- Advising several fintech startup companies on the Financial Services Act 2013, as well as laws and regulations pertaining to e-money or buy-now-pay-later programs
- Conducting due diligence and verification for a company prior to execution of relevant agreements
- Elected Secretary of the Pro-Tem Committee of the Malaysian Esports Player Association (MESPA) in 2021
- Elected Treasurer of the Pro-Tem Committee of the Malaysian Esports Player Association (MESPA) in 2018
- Client and Partnership Acquisition — Contacting potential clients for partnership & sponsorship opportunities
- Marketing and Public Relations — Content creation and social media management, planning and execution of sales and marketing campaigns, press releases, and events
- Events Management — End-to-end services for events orgsanisation and management which includes matters pertaining to preparation of proposals and tenders, sponsorship and partnership acquisition, budgeting and finance, production and media, permits and approvals, and event execution
- Project and Account Management — Client relations, partnerships and collaborations
- Esports Team Management — Coordinating the team’s day-tp-day operations, finances, both local and international. The team’s liaison for all media, event, tournament, partnership and sponsorship matters. Responsible for content creation and social media management
Competitive Experience — Competed in esports game titles such as DOTA2 and PUBG (PC)
Talent — Experience as an Esports Events Commentator for national and international DOTA2 tournaments